Sunday, November 4, 2012

Travel with me!


In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life:
       IT GOES ON.
             Robert Frost



Welcome Friends, Colleagues and Family!


I will be celebrating the Big 80 this month.  Coming face to face with this reality brought me up close and personal to looking at what I am doing and what I want to do with my next many years.  My mom lived to 102 - but my big challenge is to keep enough money sitting comfortably at Schwab.

Perhaps I want to 'take stock' which includes becoming aware of how far I have come from any of the obvious anxiety brought about by the many changes I have confronted over the past four years.  

Of course - losing Jerry as the centerpiece and partner of my wonderful active life was the biggest loss.  But I was somewhat prepared by an extraordinary medical team and my children and family of friends.  What a change from our simple Saturday mornings going to Bella for our manicures and Jerry going off to Mejeirs for what he insisted were real bargains.  Then off to Infinity for their gift of car washes and bagels and toppings.  I sat in all the new cars on the showroom floor - how I loved fast cars.  

And then taking inspiration from Elizabeth Gilbert's search for her center and the need 'to cross over.'  My crossover came when I decided to jump into a whole new life in Palo Alto, surrounded by children and a challenging new philosophy of living.  A liberal city - a Democratic state.  How would my life change with my move to Palo Alto?   I was concerned about the automatic disconnect from government and the politics of 'my community.' I was well established - I always felt lucky that I could pick up the phone and call legislators and the Governor and Mayors from around the state.  I never felt helpless in order to help those who needed help.  Change is good - at least for me.  Certainly nothing to fear. 

As I started to write this blog, I started thinking about what I do and how 'busy' I think I am.

“Life is just a quick succession of busy nothings.”
Jane Austen
Do you remember the last time you asked someone how they were?  How about life in general? What was their response?
What did you say the last time you were asked those questions? I bet I know. It’s the same thing almost everyone I talk to says, and something I’ve been keeping track of the past few weeks.
The unanimous answer: “busy”
I must admit that “busy” has been my response for years. But how did we suddenly find ourselves in a society where busy was the most acceptable way to be spending our time? I am not on this earth to be busy.  I am here, hopefully,  to build friendships and relationships, experience life, go places, create things, help others, or whatever else I decide as I get up in the dark of early morning, walk to make a pot of Peet's coffee, pick up the NYTimes outside my door and sit down with "Morning Joe."

Our reasons for being will all be different but I have a feeling that none of us feel we are here simply to be busy.  It is this thinking that put me in front of the computer to share with you and open my mind and heart to what the world has to offer.

My love has always been for children and here I am in Palo Alto -  all I needed to do was change my address and connect with new and more outstanding women.   I still have that fire in the belly to reform what needs to be reformed.  


"Be what you are. This is the first step toward becoming better than you are." ~Julius Charles Hare

1 comment: